Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The grass is always greener . . .

Over the past few weeks I've become involved in a message forum about one of my interests, ocean liners. Most of the people who belong to this forum are people who have either traveled on or crewed aboard the QE2, along with some who never got the opportunity to travel aboard this great liner and are interested in the stores of those who have. Through this forum, I have met (in the computer sense) people from all over the world, but mostly people who live in and around London.

Anyone who knows me knows that it would be my ideal to live in London or its outskirts, and that I constantly complain that I live in an dull place, etc. In talking to these people, it is interesting to me to see how they view where I live. When asked where exactly I am from I tell them I live on the East Coast of the USA, outside of Boston; they usually reply with "how lucky you are". Sometimes it takes someone else to point out to you that yes, where you live is really a great location (maybe not the town, but the geographical location). Within a matter of five to seven hours I could get in my car and drive to Boston, New York, Washington D.C., Baltimore, Portland and many other places, and am just a short ride to the ocean. It would be difficult to imagine living in a place like Kansas, where a five hour car ride may get to you one large city, but not more than that, and you could never hop in your car and visit the ocean.

Unfortunately, life being what it is, it is not easy to just jump in the car (or on a bus, train, etc.) and travel to these places; but I think in the future I should try to take advantage of my geographical location more often, hop on a bus to New York every few months, just to be a part of it. And, sorry, Kansas - I don't mean to offend - you were just the first state that came to mind!

No comments: