Friday, June 5, 2009

Is it ever enough?

When we were kids, we were given presents for our birthdays and on Christmas. What happened to that custom? Today kids are given gifts for every occasion, whether it be large or small Had a bad day school? Let's go to Target and get a new action figure! Had a great day at school? Let's go to Wal Mart and get a new toy! And we wonder why our children are so spoiled!

As I write this, I have two brand new Star Trek action figures sitting next to me. Upon going to a local store to buy windshield wiper blades for the family car, my husband spotted the Kirk and Spock toys in the store (Spock with an extra “live long a prosper” hand so you can switch them!) and immediately said “the kids would love these” (translation: I would love to have these). So now they will have another toy that they really don't need, and really did nothing to earn. Kids today think they are entitled to get something every time you walk into a store and in some cases will drive you to the edge of insanity until you finally break down and buy them something just to keep them from making a scene (come on, everyone has done that at one time or another).

To kids today, everything is replaceable. They have so many toys that I can clean out there room and dispose of an entire green trash bag of items – and they never even miss them until weeks or months later, if at all.

Although the conveniences of modern life can be nice (being able to write this from the front seat of my car while my husband hits golf balls at a local driving range), I wish life was simpler. Having one truck or doll to play with would guarantee that great care would be taken in putting it away every night, not thinking that if it breaks, I will just get a newer, better one for my birthday or Christmas (or Easter, first day of school, lost tooth, bad mood, etc).

It would be nice if we didn't live in a disposable society – where everything is used until it no longer works or we lose interest in it. Landfills would not be overwhelmed, children would not be so spoiled, and adults would teach children that good behavior is rewarded with compliments and love, not toys.

No comments: