Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Sad Day for Boston Mystery Fans . . .

One of my favorite authors, Robert B. Parker, passed away yesterday.  The only famous author I ever actually met (he signed a book for me at Barnes & Noble in Downtown Crossing - a birthday gift for my Dad about 12 years ago), his books have been among my favorites for many years.  A book is more enjoyable when you can visualize the places the characters frequent, and because they were set in Boston I could easy do so.  Spenser's office was on Boylston Street and he often talked about the people walking by his window; I could picture him jogging along the Charles with his dog, Pearl on a beautiful summer day and walking across the Public Garden on a chilly winter day.

A writer for over 37 years, he published over 65 books which were translated in 24 languages.  These included the Spenser series and two additional series which focused on Jesse Stone, a police chief in a fictional town in Massachusetts and Sunny Randall, a private detective in Boston.  His latest book which is being published in February was a new book in the Stone series.

Mr. Parker died suddenly at his home in Cambridge, Massachusetts doing what he did best - writing at his desk.

No comments: