Monday, January 25, 2010

A Weekend Away . . . Bermuda!

Travel is one of my passions; unfortunately, due to family commitments, job schedules and the trying economy, it is not something that I get to do every weekend. So I decided that I am going to "armchair" travel on the weekends - pick a destination, decide what accommodations I am going to stay at, the restaurants I am going to eat at, and plan my activities for the weekend! Hopefully, someday I will be able to look back and use these entries for actual weekend trips!

(Map courtesy of Bermudatourism.com)

My first "dream" destination is going to be Bermuda. One of my favorite places, Bermuda holds many fond memories for me as I spent my 21st birthday there, celebrating Christmas with most of my family.

Where to Stay:  The Mandarin Oriental (formerly the Elbow Beach Hotel). One of the most beautiful properties on the island, it has a private beach, ocean view rooms, cottages, and wonderful restaurants. My room of choice will be the Premier Ocean View Room, so I can sit on my balcony and listen to the surf crash on the beach during a sleepless night.

Where I'm Going to EatThe Swizzle Inn  is Bermuda's oldest and certainly most famous pub. It has been in business since 1932 and is famous for Bermuda's famous drink, the Rum Swizzle. The unique part of The Swizzle Inn is its unique use of graffiti and business cards (people write on the walls and ceilings and tack their business cards there as well). Most people who have been to Bermuda have a story about their visit to The Swizzle Inn!

What Beach to Visit:  Horseshoe Bay on the South Shore of the Island - a public beach with beautiful sand and rock formations - a must see for any beach lover!

Where I Am Going At Night:  Flanagan's on Front Street in Hamilton - an Irish pub that has a countdown to St. Patrick's Day on their website (51 days and counting!). Flanagan's is on Front Street facing Hamilton Harbor, and should afford beautiful ocean views, along with being a fun place to spend an evening!

Where I Am Going to Shop: My best memory of shopping in Bermuda The Bermuda Perfumery.  There are many flowers that are native to Bermuda that are transformed into exotic perfumes, my favorite being the Oleander. Anyone who is a perfume addict must visit this Perfumery!

There are many places that I don't have room to mention - St. George's Lighthouse, taking the ferry around Hamilton Harbor, going snorkeling in the beautiful blue water (not something I will do again - but others may find it fun!), or just renting a moped and exploring the island at a leisurely pace.  The island's website, Bermuda Tourism, has many great travel ideas and beautiful photos!  Bermuda is a beautiful island, and I can't wait to spend a real weekend there!

No comments: