Saturday, January 30, 2010

A Weekend Away . . . Nice!

This weekend's virtual jaunt will take us to a beautiful city on the coast of France - Nice.  Located on the French Riviera, it has a pleasing climate, beautiful beaches and many other attractions.


(Photo courtesy of www.nicefrance.ca)

During these frigid days, it would be nice (no pun intended!) to visit a warm destination and enjoy the Mediterranean breezes.   For my accommodations I think I will stay at the Le Meridien Nice, located near the harbor on Promenade des Anglais.  It's location is perfect, and it has a beautiful rooftoop swimming pool from which the entire beach and harbor area can been seen.

One of the things that I would love to do in Nice would be to visit the outdoor market (the Marche aux Fleurs), which features produce, flowers and local products.  When I am finished with my shopping, I would take a stroll along the Promenade des Anglais, which runs alongside the Baie des Anges which is Nice's harbor (translation:  Bay of Angels).

In the evening, dinner will be at La Petite Maison, a restaurant near the harbor, located at 11 Rue Saint François de Paule.  Although there are many delicious choices on the menu, for an appetizer I would choose the seven flavors of the sea, which include salmon, shrimp, calamari and tuna, and the Cote de Boeuf for an entree.

Before retiring back to the Meredien, I think a stop at the Bar Des Oiseaux on Rue St. Vincent, one of the great nights spots in Nice.  Located in the Old Town section of the City, it seems like a great place to listen to some jazz, enjoy a glass of Merlot and think about my next virtual destination.



No comments: