Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Fashion Fades . . . Only Style Remains the Same

Tomorrow is the beginning of one of my favorite times of the year - Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in New York.  The collection of designers will be shown from February 11th through February 18th at various venues around Manhattan.  For a stay at home mom/housewife living in a small town, it is a far away world that I would love to be a part of!  Every year I print out the schedule and hang it on my fridge to see who is showing on what day, even though I know I can't go.  Last year I was thrilled when Isaac Mizrahi, one of my favorite designers, ran a live feed of his Spring 2010 show.  It was a fabulous 20 minutes and as close as I have been to a real fashion show.  Picture me, sitting at home at my computer desk, drinking a V-8, watching the fashions come down the runway in real time.  I felt rather important that Anna Wintour (Editor in Chief of Vogue) and other luminaries of the fashion world viewed the designs at the exactly the same time as me.  Here are my two favorite looks from the show:


Photos courtesy of IsaacMizrahiNY.com

Unfortunately, I live in a small town where clothing stores are non-existent (unless you want factory second sweatshirts and socks from the local Ocean State Job Lot).  Someday I would love to be able to own fashions like these.  If I had these outfits, I would need a place to wear them.  My daily routine consists of house cleaning, laundry, scouts, volunteering and errands so they don't fit into my lifestyle right now - but wouldn't I look chic running into Shaw's to buy kitty litter?

For now, attending Fashion Week is a world away - but hopefully I will make it there someday.  For now, I will peruse the schedule of shows on my fridge while I wait for the boys' waffles to toast . . . and dream of someday!

No comments: