Sunday, February 14, 2010

A hundred hearts would be too few, to carry all my love for you . . .

Valentine's Day - the holiday created by the greeting card industry that puts fear into men's hearts.  It is a holiday whose celebrations change drastically over the years.  Gone are the days of waiting for the roses, the diamond earrings, and expensive chocolates.  It now features heart shaped food, fun little gifts for the boys and homemade cards.  Would I be thrilled to wake up to find a card and a light blue box from Tiffany?  Well, I'm not a fool - of course I would!  By I enjoy the way we celebrate it now.  Instead of diamonds, my gifts will take other forms - the faces of my kids when they tear into their Valentine bags to see what awaits them, and their excitement of having heart shaped cheeseburgers for dinner (I cheat - I buy fast food burgers and cut them - I tried making homemade heart shaped cheeseburgers but they looked too much like the real heart - not appetizing).


Someday, when the kids are grown, my husband and I will have a romantic Valentine's Day - a rendezvous at the top of the Empire State Building (after crossing the street VERY carefully!), a limousine ride through Central Park, and dinner in Rockefeller Center where we will sip chilled Krug while sampling icy oysters at The Sea Grill

For now, I am content with our family's simple version of Valentine's Day - how could one be unhappy with heart shaped burgers?  Happy Valentine's Day!!

1 comment:

Megan said...

I love the idea of heart shaped cheeseburgers. My kids would adore that. I hope you don't mind if I still it. Happy Valentine's day.