The devastation caused by the Blizzard of 1978 (Photo courtesy of Boston.com)
Peggotty Beach area during the Blizzard of 1978 (Photo courtesy of NOAA Photo Library)
The coast of Scituate is guarded by two lighthouses, Old Scituate Lighthouse (1811) and Minot Light (1860). Minot is situated one mile of the coast of Scituate and Cohasset, in an area where shipwrecks had claimed many of lives.in the ocean. Today Minot Light is automated, and can be seen from 15 miles away. Because of its location, it is a favorite for photographers during storms and high seas.
Our destination today was Old Scituate Light, to observe waves and learn about the light's history. Located on a point near the entrance to Scituate Harbor, it is an ideal location on a stormy day to watch high surf. The light became operational in September, 1811, and was built to aid in coastal navigation and to assist fishing vessels entering Scituate Harbor.
Old Scituate Light
The rain made this photo less than ideal!
Old Scituate Lighthouse also played a part in history. During the War of 1812, daughters of one of the keepers, Rebecca and Abigail Bates, warded off an attack by a British military ship by loudly playing the fife and drum - the British thought the music was coming from an approaching group of militiamen, and retreated. Their story is recounted in a book, An American Army of Two by Janet Greeson.
Another view of Old Scituate Light