Thursday, March 18, 2010

Take Me Out To The Ballgame . . .

Yesterday was the first little league baseball practice of the season!  Some people feel spring has arrived when they see the first crocus, spy a robin hopping on their lawn; for us the arrival of spring is heralded by my son's first baseball practice.  After not having picked up a glove, ball or bat since baseball camp last July, it is time to work out the cobwebs and play ball!

Like his father, my oldest son is a baseball fan (my younger son is more like me - he would rather watch Samantha Brown on The Travel Channel than sit through a televised baseball game; he enjoys attending games - but I think it is the lure of the concession stand more than the thrill of the game!).  By age 10, my older son had already visited five major league baseball parks, as well as a few minor league fields.  He also attends a summer baseball clinic/camp with the Wareham Gatemen, a minor league team that is part of the legendary Cape Cod Baseball League, from which many players have gone onto fame in the major leagues.

Here are some photos of the trips to the major league parks:
Nationals Park in Washington, D.C.

Oriole Park at Camden Yards in Baltimore, Maryland

At the "old" Yankee Stadium in New York during its last season before being torn down

Citizens' Bank Park, home of the Philadelphia Phillies

And, of course, being from Massachusetts, he is a true Red Sox fan . . .
Fenway Park in Boston (one of my favorite photos of him!)

1 comment:

stacy said...

what a great exprience - 5 ball parks already! I've just been to 2 - Fenway and Coors Field, home of the Rockies. I love baseball season - the Red Sox kept me company during many summers during my youth. thanks for sharing!