Saturday, May 15, 2010

Fluff . . .

This has been one of those crazy weeks - Cub Scout end of year preparation, camping trip for my oldest, sick cat - translating to no time!!  I try to keep to at least an "every other day" of blogging - but slipped this week!  I sat down to write last night (after frantically packing my oldest son for his first Boy Scout camping trip), after I had made a trip out to his campsite with one thing he forgot - only to get a phone call that he forgot his pillow - back out to the campsite!  Needless to say, my energy was waning after that and my blog entry fell by the wayside!

So, a day late, I am wishing happy birthday to one of my favorite things - Marshmallow Fluff!  On May 14, 1920 in Massachusetts, H. Allen Durkee and Fred L. Mower, decided to work together to make this sweet invention.  Previously candy makers, they started out with little money and an idea - within ten years they had opened a factory in Lynn, Massachusetts and were the largest distributors of marshmallow cream in New England.


In the 1930s, they were among the first to use radio as advertisers with their sponsorship of the "Flufferettes" radio show, with jingles like this (downloaded from their website as an MP3 - I now think I am probably the only person in the world who now has the Fluff jingle on their Ipod!):

"Want something delicious
You know well enough
You'll get your wishes
With Marshmallow Fluff"

Fluff went on to collaborate with other products to develop some time-tested favorite recipes, such as Kellogg's Rice Krispies (who doesn't love those Rice Krispie treats?), and Nestle's for a simple fudge recipe that still is on the label of every jar of Fluff sold!


And, the most famous Fluff collaboration:  The "Fluffernutter"!

So, happy belated birthday, Fluff - I hope to find you in my grocery store shelves for another 90 years!  Be sure to visit their website for a more recipes, history and products!

Have a great weekend!!

No comments: