Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day . . .

Happy Mother's Day!  As I have written about in the past, I lost my Mom twenty years ago.  Instead of writing a long, sad entry about how my mother longer with me, I thought I would celebrate the fact that I had a great Mom for 24 years through some photos and a poem.

Me and Mom - 1967

With my sisters and I on the dock of our cottage - about 1970

At the Cape Cod National Seashore - about 1968

In the backyard of the house I grew up in with my older sisters . . . before I was born!

Our last Christmas with her in 1989 . . .  she passed away three weeks later

I discovered this beautiful poem by David Harkins that seems fitting:

You can shed tears that she is gone,
or you can smile because she has lived.

You can close your eyes and pray that she'll come back,
or you can open your eyes and see all she's left.

Your heart can be empty because you can't see her,
or you can be full of the love you shared.

You can turn your back on tomorrow and live yesterday,
or you can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday.

You can remember her only that she is gone,
or you can cherish her memory and let it live on.

You can cry and close your mind,
be empty and turn your back.

Or you can do what she'd want:
smile, open your eyes, love and go on.

Now I have children of my own to help me celebrate Mother's Day, and since I've had them, Mother's Day has been a little happier!


One thing I learned that I have in common with my mother in researching this entry . . . camera shyness!  I had to search high and low to find photos of my Mom with us - there weren't many!  As you can tell from the photos of me with my sons - I'm not one to have my picture taken either as these are rather old!  From now on I'm going to make an effort to be in more photos with them!



Happy Mother's Day!!

4 comments:

Rebecca @ Diary of a Virgin Novelist said...

I loved that poem. I think I will send it to my mom who just lost her mom.

Happy mother's day!

Kathy said...

It is a beautiful poem . . . I came across it because Cunard used it when they took the ocean liner QE2 out of service in 2008.

Lori powers said...

Todays made me cry. I was just saying to someone the other day that I hide from getting my picture taken....it would be rare to find one of me. I must make an effort to change that also....we all must have gotten that from Mom.

As always....nice job !!!

Lori-Lyn said...

This is lovely. Happy Mother's Day.