Monday, May 24, 2010

One is Nearer to God in a Garden Than Anywhere Else on Earth . . .

It was a beautiful weekend here in Massachusetts - warm weather, blue skies, puffy white clouds - a perfect day to visit our new community garden plot.  I've never had a vegetable garden - most people who know me would say I'm more of an "indoor girl" - hanging outside with bugs and snakes really isn't my idea of fun!  But this year I thought it would be good for the boys to experience growing veggies . . . even if they don't end up eating any of them!


After reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver a few weeks ago, I was inspired to try to improve the quality of the food we consume, and to eat what is local and in season.  During the summer months I shop at a local farmers' market in an effort to support local growers, and thought that growing our own veggies would be a step in the right direction to greener living.

Our plot is part of the Bridgewater Growing Spaces Community Garden, which was developed through a local state college.  It is rather large - 20' x 20' - so I have much planning, seed and plant purchasing, and planting planned for the upcoming week (it has to be fully planted by June 8th).  I'm looking forward to the challenge and hope to shower my friends and family with the fruits of my labor in the upcoming weeks!


But right now - it looks a little dreary and empty!  Other plots are already on their way, but since I was a little late in getting into the program my garden mate's have a head start on me!  Some of them are already looking prosperous!


Since the garden is located in the middle of an area of beautiful farm lands (well, as long as you don't look toward the South - where there is a state prison!); you really feel like a farmer when you visit there!


I'm planning on growing tomatoes, peppers, beans, zucchini and summer squash - if anyone has any further suggestions I would gladly take them!  After I have it planted I will post photos of the progress during the upcoming months!


Happy Gardening!

1 comment:

Sharon said...

This is such a great idea!