Sunday, February 27, 2011

Avon Walk 2011 . . .

 I'm not usually a "pink person" - but I've changed the look of my blog for the next couple of months as I prepare to take part in the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer 2011.  After completing my first Avon Walk in 2008, I decided that breast cancer was a cause worth giving some time and effort to.  I will be participating in the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer on May 14th and 15th, 2011. I am just one of thousands of people that will walk up to a marathon and a half over a weekend, raising awareness of the cause and educating even more people.

This year I am dedicating my walk to my late Grandmother, Thelma McConnell, who died of breast cancer in 1943 at the age of 39. At that time, treatments for this terrible disease were primitive and often involved radical mastectomies that took large parts of the muscles and often part of the rib cage. These operations left the patient scarred for life, both physically and emotionally. Today, because of strides in research, breast cancer treatments have improved drastically - but even with these advancements, one person dies every 13 minutes from this terrible disease.


When I participated in the Avon Walk in 2008, it was a life changing experience. I met so many great people along the way - participants, crew and people in the neighborhoods that we walked through - all who had stories of people they knew who had been affected by this terrible disease. It truly inspired me to continue my efforts to fundraise to fight breast cancer.

If you are a regular reader of my blog and would like to help, please visit my personal fundraising page!

No comments: